Thursday, April 1, 2010

Holy Week







Have I ever mentioned that I LOVE being Catholic! I love being Catholic in this Lenten season. Honestly, this year's penances that I intend to keep were fairly good (I wasn't as good as I wanted to be) but more importantly, by God's grace, I am feeling closer to Him. I realize that this has NOTHING to do with any of my efforts, and this nearness is pure gift, and I am incredibly thankful it!

Palm Sunday was one of those Masses for me, where I felt so near to Our Lord. This was due in large part, to my husband volunteering to take newly-walking Samuel out during Mass. Rose Marie and I were able to be there together and that is ALWAYS precious. I was so grateful for the opportunity to sit and listen to the Gospel and then the Homily and to actually be both physically AND mentally present during the Consecration. I know that every Mass is grace-filled and I am so blessed to have children to chase around outside of Mass...but occasionally it is an incredible gift to sit in the Presence of Our Lord and speak with Him. So, thank you to my amazing husband for giving me such a great gift on Sunday!

Rose Marie, has once again led me through this season of Lent. It is the little ways that she views things that gives me pause, and makes me see our faith through her wonder-filled eyes. For example, she has her "Station Matching Work," but she affectionately calls it, "Mary's Work." She calls it this, because to her, the most important parts are the stations that involve Jesus and Mary together. These particular ones, touch her very deeply. Her little flower vase, that we began on Ash Wednesday, is full to the brim with beautiful flowers! I didn't know she would take to that with the enthusiasm with which she has. I have to admit that there have been a few Fridays that have come, and I did not exactly "feel" like doing Stations of the Cross. But Rose Marie looks forward to it with so much excitement and after we do the Stations together I am always blessed beyond measure from her reflections. So, to you little daughter, thank you for being my guide this Lent! Truly, you are my angel, leading Mommy gently by the hand closer to Jesus. Thank you!

I hope you all have a prayerful, grace-filled Triduum! God bless!
P.S. The photos above are from my Junior Year in College, when my future husband and I were in Rome for Holy Week. The memories from that Holy Week will be with me forever. The first photo, is of Jake and I with our brothers who came to visit us, sitting on the steps of St. Peter's after the Easter Vigil. The second, is a photo from the Sacred Steps...the same steps that Jesus walked up when he was condemned to death. The last photo is of all of us at the Coliseum for the Stations of the Cross led by Pope John Paul II. Such amazing memories!!!

2 comments:

Mara said...

Jessica, you are a beautiful wife and mother, leading your little ones closer to the Lord. I am so inspired by you and hope I can follow your example!

M. T. said...

This week IS the best week ever to be Catholic! God is so good. Happy, Happy Triduum!