Sunday, February 14, 2010

To My Husband on St. Valentine's Day

(For those of you who are not a fan of wives bragging about their husbands, do NOT read any further.)

I think you deserve to know that you are one of the most amazing men I have ever met. Your hard work, your dedication to your family, your desire to provide for all of the people who depend on you, are such admirable qualities. You have made some very difficult, demanding decisions...decisions you felt were necessary for the good of your family. These sacrifices you have made without complaining. You simply picked up your cross and marched forward...EVERYTIME. I know that your motives have recently been called into question, and by sources that are extremely hurtful. They don't know you and the man that you are, if they refuse to see why you do what you do. You lay your life down for your family with every waking moment, I see the way you strategically handle our finances so that our children can have the clothes they need and the food they eat. And you do it with so much love. I know the sacrifices you make and the things you give up for the little ones who depend on you. I know how excited you are for our future children and I have listened to you, as you dream about their arrival.

I know that you probably will not hear the words, "I am so proud of you," or "Good job," from the people you really need to hear it from. I am sorry that those wonderful, affirming words are instead being replaced with criticism and hurt.

But for what it is worth, I am so proud of you. I am so grateful to you for the sacrifices and the very hard decisions you make on a daily basis. I see the two smiling little faces you are giving yourself up for. To borrow the expression from one of our favorite songs, "I see our unborn children in your eyes," and I know you are already giving yourself to them even though they have not been given to us yet. Do not question your motives, my love. Those who know you, who really know you, know that you are a man of integrity, honor, faithfulness, loyalty and passionate love.

I love you, Jacob and I am so incredibly proud of you!

1 comment:

Dad said...

After reading your words of praise for your husband this scripture passage from Proverbs 31:10-13,25-26,and 28-30 came to me for you. "When one finds a worthy wife, her value is far beyond pearls. Her husband, entrusting his heart to her, has an unfailing prize. She brings him good, and not evil, all the days of her life...She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs at the days to come. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and her tongue is kindly counsel. Her children rise up to praise her; her husband, too, extols her: Many are the women of proven worth but you have excelled them all. Charm is deceptive and beauty fleeting; the woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Scripture speaks my thoughts of you. I love you and am so proud of you and Jake. Keep up the good work.

Love Daddy