Thursday, February 25, 2010

Prayers Please

I can't go into too much detail right now, but we could really use a few extra prayers for peace right about now. Jake is changing jobs next month and with that comes tremendous blessings, but also a few temporary sacrifices. The biggest one, being that our little family is facing another separation for at least two months. Some of you will remember that this happened last year at the exact same time (only that one was for about 5 weeks), so it is still pretty fresh on our minds. I have hesitated even asking for prayers on this one, because I know that other people have much heavier crosses than this that they are facing, but it will be hard for us nonetheless. I HATE being without my best friend. I already feel lonely and he is still with us. We will see each other on the weekends and occasionally on weeknights, but I will really miss the daily contact, for myself and the kids. Daddy will be a very missed presence in our lives. I know that there are huge blessings waiting for us on the other end, but if you could spare a prayer or two for peace for this time, I would so appreciate it. God has been so good and generous to us, I need to find the strength to joyfully lift this small temporary cross and carry it with a smile. :) Thank you so much!!

6 comments:

Wife of a Soldier said...

Hang in there dearie! Seperations are never easy whether they are for a weekend or months at a time. James and I have had to deal with this somewhat regularly, so I have a "fall-back" plan for while he is away. (The hardest for me is those trips he is suppossed to be bonding with his coworkers which means hanging out with them in the evenings so our time to talk is limited/more superficial.) Otherwise, I:
~Write down all the things the kids did/said that day to share with him.
~Make each day of the week something fun - Library (where I pick up some good chick flicks for me for nighttime), Baking/cooking with the kids, Movie night with make your own sundae or popcorn, Going to the park to feed the ducks, watercolors, clean up day, bathes with special shaped ice cubes (there are a ton of cool trays out there!), "new" books from the goodwill, etc. The busier we are, the faster it goes :)

There are alot of tips from families dealing with deployments that would also work - Hershey kisses in a jar (one for each child for each day of seperation) to represent kisses from Daddy while they are away. It's a yummy countdown. Or make paper links one for each day and remove one every day, counting down til you are together again.

I hear you on the no time with hubby on the weekdays and little time on the weekends. It is hard, and especially to get little ones through it when you are feeling lonely as well. I've been trying to keep busy with projects as well. Make sure you get some down time to yourself to recharge while he's away! Even just working out or making a weekly coffee run :) Lemme know if I can help in any way!

Shannon said...

prayers!!!! you're such a dear.

Mara said...

Jessica, you are in our prayers, of course! Love to you!

Laura, I loved your ideas!!

M. T. said...

Much prayers and love and an offer of an ear anytime you need it!
Laura has fantastic ideas! But I have the best idea: You can drive up to visit us! ;) You can stay all day and it'd be great! :)
Or we'd love to come and visit you too -- we can come all the way and stay as long as you'll let us (but its okay if that's too much!), or when its warmer, let all of us up here meet you at that park . . . don't be afraid to ask for help to get you through. You can do it!

And I always loved the idea of Daddy making a video reading the kids favorite books to them. :)

Hang in there!

Marmie said...

To my daughter who is a miliary child,this is not new to you just different.And I understand how this takes nesting to a new level.You are so blessed as I read the advice from these beautiful young moms.They and I will hold you up when you need it.And you will! And it's ok... And I will as always be here to laugh, cry, and understand.It still brings tears to my eyes that these girls that I watched grow and mature with you, turned out to be such good mommies with so much compassion and love and live the faith with these gifts God has given. Jess you can't go wrong with this kind of love and support behind you. I love all the ideas girls.Your husbands are blessed.

Little Things said...

Laura, what fantastic ideas!!!! I feel so encouraged by your thoughts and actually excited to play them out. Thank you sooo much!

Mary, we may have to schedule a play date in there somewhere. I know Rose Marie is dying to see Turtle and Rosebud!

Marmie, thank you for all of your loving suggestions and of course, your help! Thank you for listening to me cry and understanding that I just wanted to be heard. Thank you!!! I love you!