Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday!

"But the men signed of the cross of Christ
Go gaily in the dark.."
-The Ballad of the White Horse
G.K. Chesterton
I have always loved that quote from Chesterton! Today, I was able to watch the absolute excitement in my daughter's eyes as she received her ashes and was marked by the sign of Christ. She was anticipating it ALL day. It was interesting to be there at Mass today when all of the adults were somber and prayerful and Rose Marie was practically beside herself. She kept whispering loudly, "We are all going to have crosses on our foreheads because we love Jesus so, so much!" I think there was so much pride in the fact that she was joining in this great action of the community around her. She walked by herself down the aisle and was able to lift her little face up and receive the ashes that everyone else was receiving. She belonged there today in a special way. It was so beautiful to see it!
This year, I knew that Rose Marie was ready to understand, at least to some degree, the idea of offering special prayers and doing charitable works during Lent. I struggled with finding something that would convey the idea that we do these things as an act of love for Jesus. Here is what we came up with:
1)

This is a little "prayer corner" we set up in her bedroom. We hung the crucifix at her eye level, placed a purple (for preparation) placemat on top of the table and then placed a glass vase on top. Beneath, is a basket of pink flowers and white flowers (fake flowers so that they last!) The pink flowers represent, "acts of kindness" and the white ones represent "special prayers."

2)
She understands that when we do either an act of kindness or offer up more prayers, we put a flower in the vase for Jesus. He can see them from the cross and in her words, "it makes Him hurt not so much." She has mentioned trying to make Jesus' suffering "a little bit better," several times today, so I am hoping that she has the general idea. I explained that on Easter we will take her little flower arrangement, made from acts of love during Lent, and use it in our Easter celebrations.
Right after we set up her corner, she wanted to say a prayer so that she could give Jesus a flower. I have a feeling that Samuel is going to offer her several opportunities for filling the vase with pink flowers. :)
I hope you all have a beautiful beginning to your Lenten season!

3 comments:

Wife of a Soldier said...

Jess, this is such a beautiful and tangible idea! Hope you don't mind if I steal it to do with my kids too this Lent ;)

M. T. said...

I LOVE this idea!!!

Lacy @ Catholic Icing said...

I love this idea! So sweet, and very original. I'll bet my daughter would have loved this! I think it would be better for small children than the beans. Love the different colors, too! Thanks for linking this up!