Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Girl After my Own Heart!


I was trying to finish the last few bites of my dinner, while Rose Marie and Sam were supposed to be playing happily in her room.


Then I heard it.


It was that cry.


The cry that is not caused by physical pain, but hurt so much worse. It is the little sob that has witnessed a tragedy.


I ran upstairs, threw open her door and found her standing to the side of her room, cradling her books in her arms, tears flowing down her little cheeks. He was sitting in the middle of the floor, watching her...with a dark, blue crayon clutched in his grasp. It all became crystal clear.


"He colored on my books!" she sobbed. I went right to her and held her, and the books, close. "Oh, Rose Marie, I am so sorry! I understand that when someone colors on your books that makes you so sad." She cried even harder.


Once we put confused little Samuel and his offending blue crayon under the watchful eye of Daddy, Rose Marie and I inspected the damage. Luckily, it was minimal and I think the books will still be readable and beautiful. I think it was more the idea that Sam INTENDED to "enhance" the illustrations on her precious books, that was causing all of the heartache.


Rose Marie, I understand your heartache so very well. My family will laugh at this. Yes, dear family, my daughter shares my love/obsession with books. Although, I am truly sorry for the damage that happened (almost happened!) today, I am so grateful to see that I have a kindred spirit in my daughter! I hope we continue on the adventure of reading together and I am so glad that her books are true treasures, just as I hoped they would be. :)

3 comments:

Mara said...

How sweet! I think it is so wonderful that you enjoy books so much, Jessica! I've always admired that about you.

M. T. said...

The girl's got her heart in the right place! ;)

Dad said...

Thank you my Dear Daughter for being the first and an inspiration to your siblings in opening up the wonderful world of literature. And now it passes to the next generation. Let's work on getting the boys as thrilled about reading as the girls. As always I love you. You know you should write something to be published.