Thursday, February 4, 2010

Make the Connection


Take the time to make the connection:


1) She reaches for your hand while she stares out the window eating her oatmeal...make the connection.


2) He plays the "walking game" for the pure pleasure of falling into your arms...make the connection.


3) You read the same story for the 500th time already by 9:00 in the morning and a little head suddenly lands contently against your shoulder...breathe it in.


4) His arms are wrapped around your knees while lunch is waiting to be prepared and those mischievous eyes are begging for an "airplane kiss"...breathe it in, make the connection.


5) Tucking her into bed after her first day of swim lessons she wraps those lovely little arms around your neck and whispers in your ear, "Mommy, you are the Mama dolphin and I am the baby dolphin now, and we can swim together always!" Make the connection, breathe it in, kiss her again softly on the cheek and say, "We will ALWAYS swim together, you are my swimming buddy," let her fall asleep peaceful in that thought.


These are the moments that can take your breath away. They are so precious. I want so much to be the mother that makes the connection with my children. They each seek that connection in very different ways, but their need is the same. They need that closeness, the union, the comfort, the love and they seek it from me daily. I am learning to watch more closely for the little ways in which they ask for it. It is not just the morning/bedtime hugs and kisses, or the comforting that comes after bumps and bruises, I think the more important connections are the ones made in between those moments...the little ones that could seem insignificant but go so much further. These are the little moments that could so easily pass unobserved at the time, but whose loss would be felt forever. My little ones, I love these small moments with you and I hope I allow you to see just how much they mean to me! :)

5 comments:

Heather said...

Love this, Jess! Thanks for the reminder to slow down and appreciate these moments!

Unknown said...

Jess,
Your children have been so blessed to have a mother like you!! One who loves them so much and is constantly showing them through her own love, the love of God. A mother who makes her children feel unique and special, talented and appreciated!! I love you!!

M. T. said...

This is a beautiful post! Now I'm going to get off the computer and go try to be the connected mother that you are, girlie. :) I needed that inspiration today!

Elizabeth said...

Perfect!

Wife of a Soldier said...

Beautiful reflection! :)