Monday, January 18, 2010

Isaiah 62

"You shall be called by a new name, pronounced from the mouth of the Lord...No more shall people call you, 'Forsaken,' or your land, 'Desolate,' but you shall be called, "My Delight," and your land, 'Espoused,' for the Lord delights in you."

This is perhaps one of my favorite readings, (along with a few others.) This was the first reading at Mass yesterday.

It has always struck a deep cord in me, as I feel like it reveals that romantic part of Our Lord's heart...it shows his passion for us. The "calling by a new name," is so significant throughout the scriptures. Here it is clear that to the world, Israel is lost, but God not only acknowledges her beauty, but changes her name to reflect His love for her. The idea of giving delight to Him, is one that I think of with trembling. "For the Lord delights in you," how can I possibly be or do anything worth the delight of God? How can I delight Him, when sometimes it feels like the entire day is a struggle to listen to Him or be close to Him? However, insignificant as I am, sinful, wayward, stubborn, prone to fall into temptation, "Forsaken," and "Desolate," He still "delights" in me. This is one of those unfathomable mysteries and one of the most romantic love stories ever written! Fulton Sheen, was fond of calling this, "The Divine Romance," that romance between the soul and her Maker. Thank you, Lord for whispering to me again through the words of scripture! I will strive to be Your Delight in all of the small things that I do!

6 comments:

M. T. said...

I thought of you at Mass Sunday during this reading. I knew you love it so much. :) It is so rich, isn't it?
XO

Grace in my Heart said...

I like your new blog layout. Very pretty! :)

Anonymous said...

I "delight" in you as your earthly father so I know our Heavenly Father is ecstatic over you and all you do for him as a mom and spouse. I love your new layout.

Love Daddy

Dad said...

I am not Annonymous!!! I am your father!!

Little Things said...

Thank you for comments on the new layout! I was wondering what people would think. :)

Thank you Dad, so much for your words! I love you so much! :)

Unknown said...

Jess, once again a beautiful meditation!! You have no idea how much the idea of our spiritual life being a romance has been a part of my spiritual life, which I would never have thought about with out you! Thank you!! I love you!!