Monday, May 19, 2008

How much?

Yesterday in Mass, my daughter taught me a few things, and I wanted to share them with you.

During the Consecration, Rose Marie was intently watching all that was going on at the altar. She looked up and pointed to the Crucifix and said, "Jesus!" Then as she continued to look, she said, "Jesus sad, ouch. Jesus, ouch!" She was getting upset by how hurt Jesus looked, so I asked her if she wanted to make Him feel better. "Yes!" she replied. So I told her to tell Him that she loves Him and then blow Him a kiss. She did both, a little louder than necessary and then proclaimed, "All better, Jesus!" I am sure His heart was lighted by her enthusiasm. So I leaned close to her ear and whispered, "Rose Marie, Jesus is so happy and He loves you so much." She was quiet for a moment then looked back at the Crucifix and asked, "Jesus, how much?"

Such a big question for such a little girl! I, of course, could only reassure her that He loved more than anyone else. One day, I hope, when she looks at the Crucifix, she will realize the answer to her question. For now, I am grateful that she asking. And I was acutely aware, as I watched this intimate exchange between Jesus and Rose Marie, that she does not belong to me, and that He does truly love her more than I ever could. And that He loves me more than I can imagine, and He shows it, by allowing me to be the mother to this beautiful, inquisitive, little girl!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Wow. Jessica, you daughter (or rather, the daughter God entrusted to you!:) is a beautiful one!

Heather said...

That's beautiful, Jessica. Thanks for sharing it.

www.brearoper.com said...

Jessica,

What a beautiful story. And so well-written. Thank you for sharing!!!

p.s. - I found you on the Cassidy's page and thought I'd say "hello!" I can't believe how big Rose Marie is! Wow!!! And congratulations on the new little one. You are all in my prayers.