Sunday, August 30, 2009

From His Perspective...


Apparently, nine months is a tough spot in one's life. Things have definitely improved now that mobility has been mastered, but making one's wishes and preferences understood is the tricky thing.
Sam has just discovered meatballs. He is now in love with meatballs. Disgust, aggravation and anger are now regular emotions when he is served anything other than those little balls of ground up meat and veggies. He tries so hard to communicate that, no, a banana is NOT what he wants for breakfast, but meatballs would be perfect. Life is tough that way.

I, the mother, take second place in his order of loves. I come right after meatballs and just before greenbeans. He now follows me around the house calling me, "Mama, Mama, Mama!" Which, I must confess, is rather adorable! He likes to curl up in my arms and "talk" to me. The other day, I was driving around town doing errands when I noticed something constantly moving out of my peripheral. It was Sam, waving at me via the rear-view mirror, trying to get my attention. He waved at me for the rest of the trip. (He also waves at his food when it is cooking, but I like to think that his waving at me had deeper meaning.) The tricky thing here, is that I, the mother, cannot sit in adoration of him all day. I actually have to get things done, which means Sam has to do something other than bask in my presence. Once again, life is tough sometimes.

Despite what he thinks, things are not all that bad. Soon he will understand that food other than meatballs are tasty, and that when Mommy does the laundry he is not being abandoned in a cold, harsh world. Until the, he needs to focus on the happy little things in life, such as being able to sneak up on his big sister when she isn't looking. That always gets a laugh...from him at least.

2 comments:

Wife of a Soldier said...

What a handsome little guy! He's gonna be a heartbreaker! :) You are such a good Mommy!

M. T. said...

Life is hard for a little guy, eh? :)