Thursday, August 27, 2009

One of a Kind

There are those people who breeze into your life, bringing with them those seemly lost qualities of a bygone era. Ronald Koenig, my husband's grandfather, was one of those people. He was a man of integrity, respect, hard work ethic and passionate romance. I did not know him long, but for the time that he was in my life, I felt privileged to call him family.

One of my favorite memories of Ron, was at my sister-in-law's wedding. I was only dating my husband-to-be at the time and therefore, felt slightly awkward at such a personal family event. I sat there, at one of the tables off in the corner, eating my cake and watching the family as they mingled and enjoyed the festivities. "May I have this dance?" Ron asked as he stood in front of me, hand outstretched to take mine. I got up and he pulled me onto the dance floor. That dance, was the most amazing dance of my life. I felt as if I had been swept up in the arms of Gene Kelly. He led me around the floor effortlessly, gracefully, full of laughter and smiles. I felt like we were dancing in another time, a time where dances had actual steps to follow and you moved to the rhythms set by Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. I have treasured that dance ever since.

This past Friday, I stood with my husband and his family as we buried Ron. He will be missed more than he ever imagined possible. But, those qualities that he was so loved for, can still be found in his children and grandchildren. I am so blessed that his grandson, my husband, looked up to Ron the way he did. I have married a man that was well trained by a true gentleman. Thank you Ron, for the gift you gave me both in knowing you and in having trained your amazing grandson. I am so blessed. God bless you Ron and may you rest in peace.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

very beautiful, Jessica! May he rest in peace.

Mama Cass said...

Sorry to hear about your lost. Sounds like a wonderful man. We will try to remember to offer some prayers for him.

In Christ, the Cassidys