Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Lack of words

I have been waiting to write this post, hoping that words would come to my mind to help me explain what I want to say. None have come. I suppose, there are those moments in life, that surpass expression with words. Meeting and talking to my husband's great-grandmother seems to be one of those moments for me.

How do you describe the feeling that a tiny, smiling 100 year old woman elicits as she walks into the room? What do you say when she gathers your husband to herself and sets him at her feet, touching him gently and asking him questions in only the way a great-grandmother could? What about that moment of understanding and seeming familiarity exchanged between your daughter of a mere two years of age as she chats happily to her great-great-grandmother? How do you describe the breathlessness that comes when she draws you to herself and she tells you that she is proud of you and that your husband, whom she has loved since he was a baby, is lucky to have you? What about the feeling of her hands on your tummy as she felt for her great-great grandchild? What do you say?



1 comment:

Mary said...

This post made me want to cry. (And i know I can say that and you know what i mean ) What a beautiful moment. I wouldn't have words either.