Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Today I watched as America's first African-American President was sworn into office. It truly was a day of historic significance. I felt so proud of our country for having finally made this move and I felt so happy for the African-American people. I hope that this might heal the wounds that still seem to run deep in certain areas of our country.

However, my pride and happiness were also marred with a great deal of sadness. I sat there, with my toddler asking pertinent questions and jostling my baby in my arms, as I watched one of the most anti-life leaders in our country, make promises that he has already intended to break.

I felt angry as I heard him talk about the necessity for everyone, of every age and race to have the opportunity to pursue their dreams and live a full life. And yet, he has also sworn to insure that babies can be disposed of at any point in pregnancy for the simple reason that "I just don't want this." It seems so hypocritical that today we rejoiced, as a nation, that by our election of a man from a race that has suffered great grievances, we feel that we have finally understood what it means to say, "All men are equal, and all have the right to pursue, life, liberty and happiness." And yet, it is that very vote, that will now condemn thousands more innocent children to death. How is this justified? How does this make sense?

As I sat there, holding my own children close, I felt uneasy and scared for them. Please God, change the heart of our now President Obama. May his heart be softened to understand the sacredness of human life. May he truly take a stand for the principles of equality and justice that he promised to protect today.

1 comment:

M. T. said...

Very well said. I second all of it. God bless America!