Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Three Years Ago Today!!!


Three years ago and the smiles have not faded. Then it was a smile of joy, looking forward to the future and what it might have in store for us. Now it is a smile of complete happiness knowing exactly what our future has in store: a beautiful child - soon to be two children, a loving and caring wife, a friendship that words can never express, and busy days of living and planning for a bright future.

Many people said as we were getting married, "just wait until the honeymoon stage wears off." Scary thought then, yes, but today I feel as if we are moving in the opposite direction! Honeymoon stage? Those people got it wrong. For me, the Honeymoon stage was just the prelude to the beautiful symphony. Every time a new piece is introduced, the more exciting life gets. We have not hit the climax, but the beginning of the show is keeping me at the edge of my seat. I only have three years under my belt, but I can tell you that I think it is a mistake to wait for the honeymoon to end. Rather, why not try and make everyday and extension of that beautiful time in your life.

I know there will be ups and down, and not every day is perfect, but my wife has taught me many things. The most important of which is the title of this blog, "The Little Things!" This is something Jessica has emphasized since the day I met her (one of the many reason I fell in love with her). She said, "Jake, always remember the little things when life gets to busy. If we do that for each other on a daily basis, we will not fail." Those have been some of the best words of advice I ever have received. Day in and day out we work at the little things. Here is what is so ironic. Paying attention to the little things has allowed us to accomplish so many big things with so little effort!

These hands have been locked together ever since they could. I made a promise to never let go. That means, that no matter what comes our way, I will hold on to all that is dear to me. Sure, occasionally there is a small pair of hands that manage to slip their way in between. But my daughter Rose Marie has only enriched our friendship, not diminished. (There will be another pair in a few months who will also bless our marriage!!!)

Three years I have been holding the hands of my best friend. Three years I have been incredibly blest by God's love that shines through my wife and child. Three years, well, when you are having so much fun, time does fly.

So for all those newly married out there, when you hear sceptics say, "wait till the honeymoon is over," I say it is possible that they day may never come! Don't waste your time waiting. Instead, grab your spouse's hand, and walk forward to an incredibly happy future. All the while, remembering the little things! :)

To: My Little Princess who has made me so happy these past three years. Happy Anniversary!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys! The pictures made me look back to your wedding day -- it was beautiful and so much fun. ;) God bless you both now and forever!