Thursday, December 20, 2007

Just like every night...


I held her tight in my arms, careful to hold the pink elephant close as well. I swayed gently next to the crib. My husband stood beside me holding both of us (and the pink elephant!). He blessed the forehead of our daughter and as he started the prayers we have been reciting every night for the past year and half, something happened. A tiny hand reached up to my forehead, tiny, cool fingers danced upon my skin and her eyes, looking into mine danced. She had given me a blessing as well! Then she did the same to my husband. No other prayers seemed necessary. I could almost hear Our Lord smile. She had tried to give us the sign of the cross. She seemed to understand. Thank you Lord, how could I ask for more.


"The men of the East may spell the stars, And times and triumphs mark, But the men signed of the cross of Christ Go gaily in the dark."
-G.K. Chesterton, "The Ballad of the White Horse"

No comments: