Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Sanctifying the Moment

I have been doing a lot of thinking recently...some soul re-evaluating and I see several things glaring back at me of which I am not happy with. I will not confess to you everything, but one thing has really been on my mind and I thought I might "write out" my thoughts here, in order to clear my head.

A friend once talked to me about the need to sanctify the moments in our lives. That has come back to me strongly recently. I realize how many moments I squander recklessly without attributing any value to them whatsoever.

I am not proposing that every moment be spent doing something "holy," or academic or useful. Simply that I need to remember that these moments are precious. In that case, sitting outside with a warm cup of coffee, finishing off the book by C.S. Lewis and enjoying the fall morning is worth more than browsing needlessly on the Internet! Where have those moments gone!

I guess, I am trying to remember to make my life a prayer, an offering. I think one of the best ways to do both is to make sure to ENJOY the moments, in the fullest sense, because then they can be sanctified. I see myself spending free time by researching parenting methods online, new recipes online, house keeping tips etc. etc. But I have this incredible nagging feeling that what I am doing in looking at all of this is not "real." Something about it feels incredibly wasted. Perhaps it is the lack of involvement of my other senses. Sitting at a computer uses your sight and if you are lucky, your mind on occasion, otherwise it can be a state of hibernation for the other senses.

Whereas, a moment spent in the brisk fall morning air, my hands warming themselves around a cup of dark coffee, listening to the leaves rustle in the gentle breeze and feeling the beginning of the day dawning, I sigh deeply, knowing I am loved and I feel a deep sense of peace. In that brief little encounter, I feel so close to Our Lord because He makes those little moments for my to enjoy. This is real. Even though I have done nothing useful, prayerful or academic, I have come closer to Him. These moments are His gifts. I just need to open myself to receive them.

3 comments:

Wife of a Soldier said...

Hey! I know what you mean about time on the net :) Kinda sucks you in.... I'm on a couple forums and have had the oppourtunity to give witness to our faith, but doesn't account for the 99.9% of the rest of the time I waste surfing the net.

You should read "The Divine Life of the Most Holy Virgin" by Venerable Mary of Agreda. Mary appeared to this soon-to-be-saint and revealed the details about her parents, life growing up, raising Christ, etc. I haven't finished it yet, but it truly has inspired me and given many examples of how to imitate Mary, especially in the little things of daily life. Def check it out! ;)

Mary said...

This is so true and so inspiringly written. And good for me to hear too! ;)

Jake and Elizabeth said...

I totally agree. I know sometimes I can get careless and, then later on realize how much time I have wasted. Its great to remind yourself every now and then of how you actually spend your time.