Sunday, June 21, 2009

Big Sister


During our month long hiatus, the big sister of this household has been very busy. I am convinced that just when you think you are really coming to know and understand a child, they up and change again. :) I often catch myself looking at her and wondering to myself, "When did she become such an independent little person?" A few of her recent highlights include:


1) A trip to Jamestown with my family. She was quiet intrigued by the Indians, which was anyone wearing a costume. This is now a regular point of discussion in our house, despite the fact that it took place over a month ago. I am thinking we need to go somewhere else, just so we can talk about something different.


2) A beach trip! She was utterly fearless in the water, and was fascinated by it. In her own words, "It was winderful!"


3) She has graduated from helping with the baking, to helping make dinner fairly regularly with me. I have to say, I LOVE this! It gives me quality time with her, while I am cooking and I truly do love having her companionship in the kitchen. Thus far, her meals have included: Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Marsala, Chicken Parmesan, Beef Stir-Fry, Scalloped Potatoes and Ham and homemade pizza (of course!) She loves to do the prep work and it keeps her occupied for a long time. :) The trick of course is, that dinner prep begins much earlier these days, so that I can factor the length of time it takes to scrub a potato for instance. :) But it is well worth the effort!


4) Tricycle riding is now a daily activity. I think that she rides in order to wear her helmet. She wants to wear it all the time, but I really do need to draw a line somewhere. I am not sure what people would think if she was walking next to me through the grocery store wearing her helmet...I am not THAT protective. :)


5) Her pride and glory right now (and mine as well!), are her plants. Her little basil plant is overflowing, we have more tomatoes everyday and we have way too many peppers! Every morning we go out and check on them, water them, talk about them and she gently "helps" the plants to grow. I love watching her, watch her plants.


Anyway, these are just a few of the things she has been up to this past month. She is so amazing and I am so incredibly proud of her and grateful for her companionship.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely big girl you have!!!

M. T. said...

You are such a good mommy to let a 3 yo help with dinner every night. :)