Friday, May 1, 2009

Because You Asked

We have been asked many times where our daughter's name came from. While I would love to say were came up with it on our own by spiritual inspiration, I am afraid that is not entirely true. However, I love that her name encompasses both, one of our favorite saints and Our Lady as well. The true origins of her name can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jPiWKodOZ4. This is a beautiful movie that is beloved by both my husband and I and our families. We watched this movie often during our dating years and it will remain a family favorite in our home. The year was 1936, and they just don't make movies like this anymore. If you ever get the opportunity to watch this movie or any of their others, we highly recommend them! They are all fantastically romantic and hilariously funny.

On a side note, the week after Rose Marie was born, I was approached by a lovely woman of 80 years of age. She held Rose Marie and asked me what we had named her. When I told her, she gave a happy little sigh and said, "There was once, the most beautiful song called, Rose Marie...but I am sure you have never heard it." I began to sing the words and her lovely face lit up and she sang with me, with tears in her eyes. She simply said, "I am so glad that you have given that name to your daughter!" It melted my heart and I am so grateful that we fell in love with this old-fashioned name.

And yes, Rose Marie knows this song by heart, because her Daddy enjoys dancing with her to this one. :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

I had no idea! Very cool.

one muse more said...

"It didn't work with Maud. But then, nothing worked with Maud."

Love it!

I've always wondered - what a great story! Thanks for sharing. :)