Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Sweet Moment

A few nights ago as I was getting Rose Marie ready for bed, she placed her head on my shoulder and pleaded, "Mama, sleep with me?" I pulled back the blankets, crawled in next to her and Bud-Bud, and pulled her close to me. We stayed there in the dark for a long time and we whispered and giggled for a while. I stroked her hair and felt her breathing steady and slow. Then I looked around and realized the beautiful place I found myself in. We are still living with my family for now and so, Rose Marie is sleeping in the room that used to be mine. So there I was, in my girlhood room, curled up beside my sleeping daughter, while my slumbering son was in the room across the hall. This room used to bring peace and comfort, and it still does. Now it embraces not only myself in love and warmth, but my own children as well. Thank you Lord, for giving us this place to still call home (or at least, a home away from home.)

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

lovely. It's these little moments that make this tough time a good time, right? :)