Saturday, March 21, 2009

Only Catholics

I do not like going to confession. I love the fact that we have this as a sacrament, but I always get a little nervous and it is just something I do ENJOY doing. It is, as it should be, a humbling experience. This time, as I stood there in line, I was aware of how far I had been feeling from grace lately. It had been awhile since my last confession and I was feeling this fact. I stood there actually anxious and excited to get back to grace and becoming myself once again. I looked down the line and saw all of the other people who were trying to make their way back again, expressing their need for God's help in their lives and wanting to be who He had created them to be.

Then, out of the confessional walked a man from the parish for whom I have the utmost respect. He came towards me smiling. He took my two hands in his big strong ones and said, "It is so good to see you here and to see your friendly smile." And with that, he was gone to thank His Savior for the grace he had just received through the sacrament. I then, took my turn to seek God's forgiveness.

Only Catholics can have this sort of solidarity. We see each other lined up, each acknowledging that we are fallen creatures and that we are weak. And we can smile at one another standing in that line. We know what the other is feeling and we know why we are all there. We support each other and understand that we are all trying to get back to the Father. I truly felt that today. I felt like that kind gentleman was saying, "It is good that you are here...that we are here." We belong to a Church that is full of sinful members, but they know they are sinful and that is why we line up. We are grace-seekers. I am so grateful to be surrounded by people who understand and who smile at me with encouragement as I struggle towards becoming who God wants me to be.

1 comment:

M. T. said...

i loved this post. It is SO great to be Catholic isn't it? :)