Monday, February 2, 2009

Confession 101


Standing in Confession line, last weekend raised several questions from my inquisitive little girl.

"Why are we standing here?" she asks.

"Because I need to talk to Jesus," I explain.

She looks back to the tabernacle, "But Jesus is over there Momma," she explains to me, while pointing towards the altar.

I sigh and try my best to explain to her that I am going into the little room to talk to the priest. I try to explain to her that I am going to tell the priest that I am sorry for hurting Jesus' feelings because I was unkind, or that I forgot to tell Jesus that I loved Him before I went to sleep at night. I told her that the priest would tell me that Jesus forgives me and that He loves me very much and he will ask me to try to be a nice girl from now on. Rose Marie listens intently and then seems very pleased with this explanation. She asked me if I am excited to go in there. I said yes, although I think excited is not the word I would choose.

Upon coming out of the confessional, Rose Marie stands up in the pew, throws her arms open wide, smiles and practically yells, "Momma, I forgive you and I love you VERY much!!! Hug me!" Yes, the whole church muffled laughter...but I guess she understood, in a way what I had gone to do. And I am glad that she thinks confession is exciting because you are reminded of how much Jesus loves you. I have to remember to wear my excited face next time I am in line and not my somber face. :)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Neat! What a lovely daughter you have and what a good Mommy you are!

Wife of a Soldier said...

That's awesome! ;) I remember my mom taking me to confession one time when she went and how I tried to convince her to tell the priest a joke, lol ;)

M. T. said...

Your girlie is so special!

Anonymous said...

You have such an amazing daughter!!