Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Toddlers are Bi-Polar!!

Some mornings, she wakes up from her crib and screams, "MAMA!!!!" in that particular tone of scream, and I just know. Today, will be a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day. On said day, nothing will be right...ever. The moment I go to get her out of the crib, she will lie down with a vehement, "No! Rose sleeping!" "Do you want Mommy to let you sleep," I ask as lovingly as humanly possible. "Yeah!" she says. So I go, and two minutes later she is angry and wondering why she is still in her crib. That is only the beginning. The entire day will be a confusing maze of one moment wanting something and the next, never wanting it again. Somehow, I am expected to understand and oblige, happily mind you, the inner workings of this frustrating little mind of hers! By the end of the day I know with absolute certainty what Mommy wants...and it isn't a glass of water!

But then, the very next day, I wake up to a sweet sing-song voice saying gently, "Mama." She continues to sing a delightful little song interspersed with my name and Bud Bud's, while I lay in bed just a few moments longer. This day, is full of sunshine, laughter, butterflies and rainbows. Upon picking her up from the crib, she gives me three long kisses and a squeeze around the neck and whispers, "I love you Mama!" All day, she is cooperative and incredibly happy. We dance, we sing, "I'm a little teapot," we color, we swim, we laugh and simply love one anothers company. She makes me wonder how I could ever lose my patience with an angel as sweet and happy as she is. Was I ever mad at her? What could she possibly do that would ever be frustrating? Maybe it was just me...maybe I had had a bad day yesterday.

And in her mind, I am pretty sure this is all part of the plan. It is amazing how one little hug and kiss can make a Mommy forget. Whatever it is, I love these sunshiny days! They are the best, and the ones that make the bad ones only a foggy memory.

1 comment:

Wife of a Soldier said...

Hmmmm. Sounds..... familiar ;)