Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Daddy Dinners

My husband decided he would "cook" dinner the other night. (Before I continue, I must say that he is an excellent cook. His, is the only salmon I will ever eat...all other kinds disappoint.)

As I was saying, my husband cooked the other night. He dialed a number and less than 30 minutes later, the pizza delivery man announced his arrival with a vigorous knock upon our door. If only the delivery man had been able to see into my living room when that knock was heard! Two heads peeked over the book they were reading, the larger one looked at the small one and said excitedly, "Pizza is here!" to which the small one responded by leaping off the couch (after tossing the beloved book on the floor) and barrelled after her Daddy squealing, "Pizzie, Pizzie, Pizzie!" As the "Pizzie" made its way to the table, I was shocked to see that the serenade, included a dance, complete with twirls and appropriate leg lifts! (By my daughter of course, not my husband)

I ate my dinner in stunned and jealous silence. Why are my dinners not greeted with songs and dance? Why do I have to occasionally coax and woo her to the table to eat MY meals?! Do I need more grease in my cuisine? Higher fat content? Present it in a little cardboard box and have it delivered? What is Papa John's putting in this pizza that makes my family behave this way?! Oh well! Maybe one day I will learn that secret. For now, I enjoy watching my little family and laughing with them and at them.

And...no dishes! That is ALWAYS a plus. Just for that I may do song and a dance!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From age to age Virgina it has always been that this food in a box delived to the door is food for kings and queens. It is our sorrow when we feel slighted and it is our joy when we do not want to cook another meal.Be as the "Butterpie" and choose joy.

Mary said...

:) I loved this post.
I remember making green beans for T. once. She liked the nasty brown baby food kind, so I cooked and blended and mixed with butter and salt to perfection lovely fresh GOOD green beans and she HATED it, refused to touch it.

Yeah, that was when I decided that being mom was the most thankless job ever. :)

:) I'm sure your dinners are DELICIOUS, Jessica.

Wife of a Soldier said...

Lol! That is so funny and ironic. Def true of all kids - I can offer a three course gormet dinner to Jax, which he will promptly throw on the floor while James can give him crackers with jam and every.last.morsel will be eaten.

On a side note, how does Jake make his salmon? THis is also James' forte when he cooks and the best salmon I've ever eaten! ;)

Anonymous said...

Thank God it was Rose dancing and not Jake! =)