Monday, August 20, 2007

The Mystery of Mothering

"Babies do not come complete with an instruction manual." A very astute observation. Some days I feel like rummaging through the diaper bag, certain, that I will find a booklet (of substantial proportion) titled: "How to maintain and properly train your strong-willed daughter without ever losing your mind or patience." But alas, no matter how confident I am that such a booklet has been published and stashed away in my diaper bag for frequent reference, it does not exist.

When our little cherub disrupts the Mass by singing rather too loudly AFTER the choir has ceased singing, I want to look around and ask someone what I should do. Only then do I realize that it is up to me and me alone to discern in this matter whether I need to whisk her out quickly, or just hope that after her solo is done, she will go back to silently looking at her book. Or trying to discern whether her rather forceful smacks towards those she loves are truly hits, or just somewhat involuntary movements. And I wish someone would point out where that ever elusive fine line between expecting too much from her and spoiling her lies!

A day can be saturated by questions like these, but then she toddles over with her lovey and a story book, climbs into my lap and lets me know she is happy and content. Maybe my questions will figure themselves out and maybe, at least for today, I haven't ruined her. She is after all the affectionate, beautiful, strong-willed little girl that God entrusted to me. Right now, all I can do is love her unconditionally and hope that I gain the wisdom I need for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Wife of a Soldier said...

I know what you mean! I think most parents just have to wing it, as the majority of advice that you do actually receive only applies to certain families or certain situations. Little ones do have a way of making it all seem worth it :)

Jake and Elizabeth said...

Don't worry. You are doing a great job.

Unknown said...

I think that God gives every mother a manual of sorts. Your instinct as a mother! Mothers always seem to know what is right for there kids! I'm sure Rose Marie thinks you know everything! (either that or she knows it all!)
You and Jake are doing a great Job and she is such a beautiful, happy, well behaved, stubborn little personality, that I could just cuddle her all the time!!!