Thursday, August 2, 2007

My Companion



It is amazing how routine can be the very thing that reveals the greatest changes in your life. Today was nothing but routine. Get up, make breakfast, unload dishwasher, sort clothes, do laundry etc. However, for the first time I noticed the extraordinary help I had. As I got my apron on this morning, Rose Marie got very excited and exclaimed over and over, "pretty, pretty!" So, I grabbed a "pretty" dishtowel (the same color as mommy's apron of course,) and tied it around her non-existent waist! All of a sudden, she became mistress of the kitchen! Out came the bowls and spoons, serious stirring began.


We then went to fold laundry together as always. This time I noticed her taking one of my shirts and vigorously shaking the wrinkles from it. I guess she was trying to eliminate one of my steps in the folding of the clothes.


I wish I could describe her intensity as she worked beside me today. She tried so hard to copy mommy and to be helpful. These chores are ones we have been doing together since she was new (of course with her in the sling at that time) and now, all of a sudden she is walking beside me, trying in her own tiny way, to be helpful. I love it! Although, we do need to work on how Rose Marie could be helpful during dinner preparations from the comfort of her room, or some room other than the kitchen...but maybe we will figure that out as we go.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Oh she's SO cute! It's so wonderful to have a little helper -- even if it does make things take 20 times longer. :) I'm so thankful to still have only one baby to be able to take this kind of time!

Little Things said...

I know! It does make simple tasks take so much longer, but it is fun! She is so proud of herself when she completes a task! I am so proud of her.

Jake and Elizabeth said...

A bit of advice. Milk the help thing as long as you can. =)

Wife of a Soldier said...

What a sweetheart! That's something to put in her baby book, for sure! It must really touch your heart when she tries so hard to help and is so proud of herslef when she does! ;)

Wife of a Soldier said...

PS. Do I spy in the right pict, one of those wooden "push cars" from www.oompa.com or a like place? Where did you get it and does she like it/use it alot? :)

Thanks dearie!