Sunday, February 17, 2008

Ash Wednesday

There is something so thrilling to a mother's heart as she guides her little one in the traditions of her faith! I was so blest by watching my daughter recieve her ashes and holding her tight as the priest pressed the ashes unto her tiny forehead and uttered the words, "Remember you are dust, and unto dust you shall return."

As a mother, holding a little one so full of life, and hearing those harsh words spoken, helped me to remember, that she is not mine. She belongs to her Father in heaven. He has entrusted her tiny soul to my care for this short time and He has asked me to guide her back to His arms. Ash Wednesday helped me to re-evaluate my spiritual life, and also that of my little family. I am in this family to be guided to heaven and to be a guide as well. What a huge responsiblity! I always knew that it was, but I think that I have been reminded of that almost everyday thus far in Lent. I pray that He gives me the wisdom to know how to train her little heart to be open to God and to listen to His voice.

On a lighter note, be forewarned anyone raising little girls, that teaching your little girl about the importance of cleanliness, will work against you on Ash Wednesday. Upon seeing both Mommy and Daddy with "dirt" smeared across there heads, Rose Marie was inisitent that we "Wash now!" She pointed out to everyone around us that they too, were in fact, "dirty" and she pointed it out with loud, "Uh-oh! Wash now!" Throughout the rest of the Mass. Oh well! It is great to be Catholic!

No comments: